As part of our commitment to providing the Waterloo County with quality car service & repair education, we offer the following car service tips. Listed below are a few ways to improve your driving habits and gas mileage. If you have any car service questions or want to schedule maintenance, give us a call - We are happy to help!
How to Improve Your Car’s Gas Mileage
Part of car service is doing what you can to improve gas mileage. Here are some tips:
- Keep your car clean. Mud on the undercarriage can weigh a significant amount and slow you down.
- Consolidate your daily trips and errands. This will also save you the cost of restarting your engine, which uses a lot of gas.
- Avoid air conditioning when possible. However, when driving at higher speeds, having your windows open also creates drag
- Don’t throttle the gas or brake pedal! Sudden starts or stops use more gas than gradual changes in speed.
- Don’t idle for too long. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a lengthy wait.
- Limit car warm-ups in winter.
- Clear out the trunk. More weight equals more drag
- Avoid high speeds. We know this is almost impossible to resist but you can improve your gas mileage by up to 15 percent driving at 55 mph rather than 65 mph.
- Use overdrive. If your car is equipped with overdrive gearing use it as soon as your speed is high enough.
- Use cruise control. Maintaining a constant speed is ideal for improving your gas mileage.
Car Service For Your Vehicle
- Replace the spark plugs in your engine regularly. This way, the air and fuel mixture will burn cleaner and more efficiently.
- Improve the intake/output system. By allowing gas to get in and exhaust out of your vehicle you will improve the vehicle's overall performance and gas mileage.
- Reduce friction. Use high-quality or synthetic motor oil.
- Check your oil! Low oil makes your engine work harder.
- Change your filters. Dirty filters can sometimes increase the amount of fuel your vehicle uses by as much as 10 percent.
- Keep tires properly inflated and aligned. Check regularly to ensure your wheels are fully inflated and your alignment is good. This simple car service task can make a difference in multiple areas, as well as make driving safer.
- Get regular engine tune-ups and car maintenance checks. Without proper car care, a lot can go wrong with a car. Damaged spark plugs or transmission problems can also contribute to poor gas mileage.
Of course, if you any questions or concerns about your car service, the specialists at Waterloo Service Center are happy to answer your questions. Stop in or call us today!