TWhen it comes to cars, everyone wants to keep them looking good for as long as possible. As the cars get older, they can get rust and rust is something no one wants. This is something that needs to be addressed and can be done while doing car maintenance. When doing car maintenance, especially when dealing with rust, there are a few things that can be done.
With a small investment in time and some supplies, rust on vehicles can be removed while doing car maintenance. However, this is only temporary and not a permanent fix, so keep this in mind.
Here are some car maintenance tips when it comes to rust removal:
- Supplies – Car maintenance requires supplies and so does doing rust removal. The car maintenance materials needed include rubbing compound, water bucket, 3M scrub pads, rust killer/primer, and paint that matches the car color.
- Clean Up – This is the first step in doing car maintenance and cleaning rust. Wipe down the area down and use just water and scrub pad. This will get some rust off, but not all of it.
- Rubbing – Next,use the rubbing compound and scrub pad to get the rust off. It will come off so keep going. By far the hardest car cleaning step, but definitely worth it.
- Primer – Now that the rust is gone, it is time to go to the next car maintenance step and that is the primer. Use this where the rust was and put on in a couple coats. This is important as it allows the primer to dry and adhere to where the rust was.
- Paint – The last step and that is painting. For anyone who is doing this, make sure to spray just the area that there is primer and not go too heavy. This is the final step of car maintenance involving rust, and the rust will not be seen anymore.
The aforementioned steps above show how easy it can be to remove rust. It usually only takes an afternoon to complete. Rust is no one’s friend and especially when it is found on a car. Take the time to remove the rust and make the car look as good as possible for years to come.
Auto Service For You
Waterloo Automotive is proud to offer auto repair to Waterloo, IL and its surrounding areas.