With the cold winter months, it’s hard to stay active. We might be looking at another month of winter, so with these snow storms and low temperatures it could be hard or near impossible to head outside. We also can sometimes turn into sloths without our normal Vitamin D doses from the sun. In order to keep the motivation up, we have to start somewhere. Here are some tips to shaking that winter sloth and staying healthy:
- Participate in winter sports. There are probably a number of activities to participate in during the winter months. Grab some coworkers or classmates and sign up for a rec basketball or volleyball league. Maybe start a pickup game during open gym for some friendly competition.
- Go for a walk. The mall is a great place for this, especially if you like to shop. If you want to challenge yourself, bring a pedometer to count your steps.
- Take the stairs. Doing this and even parking farther away will get you some exercise on a busy day.
- Do active housework. Things like mopping, vacuuming and washing windows require a little elbow grease.
- Join a gym. A fitness club will let you work on machines and get plenty of exercise. Spend some time in the sauna or swim some laps in the pool and pretend it’s summer./li>
- Shovel the snow. This is incredible exercise. Be careful not to overdo it and be sure to lift with your legs, not your back. Take breaks and drink plenty of water.
- Walk the dog. Dress in layers and take the dog around the block a few times. Making this part of your daily routine is an easy way to increase your activity.
- Try something new. There’s plenty of winter activities you could cross off your bucket list this year. Try skiing, snowboarding or skating to mix things up.
If you’re going outdoors for these activities, be sure to wear well fitting clothes that are warm and waterproof. There’s plenty of ways to stay fit and healthy and boost your slump by getting more daylight. Pick a few of these tips and don’t be swallowed by winter darkness.